2: Grado - Salas

The second stage starts at the hostel of Villapañada. After travelling 21,4 km, we get to Salas, a magnificent village declared as Historical and Artistical Village in 1944

Going up the Cabruñana hills, we get to the Virgen del Fresno Sanctuary. Near the sanctuary there was a lazaretto dedicated to St Lazarus.
During the Independence War, there was a hard battle for the control of the village, where the Primitive Way to Compostela and a branch of the Way of the Meseta joining Asturias and Leon met.
We go through Los Morrones, San Marcelo and Dóriga (with a beautiful Romanesque church of the 12th century) and get to Puebla de Cornellana.


Princess Cristina, daughter to Bermuda II de León, founded St Salvador Monastery in 1024. In 1122, Count Suero Bermúdez, the founder’s great-grandson, transferred it to the Benedictine monks of Cluny, being the only monastery of this order in Asturias.
The Romanesque church of the late 12th century with a façade of the 17th century is still preserved. The monastery and the cloister date from the early 18th century, a Romanesque and a Gothic front are preserved
From Cornellana to Salas we go through Sobrerriba, Llamas, Quintana, always near the Nonaya River… In Casazorrina, we can see St Ana Church with Romanesque carvings inside. After Mallecín, we get to Salas.


Alfonso X, the Wise King also founded Salas about the year 1270.
In 1120, Queen Urraca transferred to Suero Bermúdez a castle in this place and the city grew for being in the route to Compostela. The tower of Valdés-Salas Palace reminds us of that old castle. The tower raises elegant in the middle of the village, being the cradle of Fernando Valdés-Salas, founder of Oviedo University, General Inquisitor and Archbishop of Seville.


The Pazo dates from the 16th century. Epigraphic and ornamental pre-Romanesque elements from the old St Martin church (9th century) are kept in the tower of the 14th century.
In Salas, you must visit Santa María la Mayor Collegiate Church from the middle of the 16th century with a square nave and pentagonal top, keeping inside an alabaster mausoleum of Fernando de Valdés-Salas.
Years ago, there was also here a hospital for pilgrims, although nowadays only St Roque chapel (17th century) is preserved.
Salas, considered as a historic and artistic village, is worth a thorough visit.